Wee Little Ghosty Halloween Craft
Who's up for a haunting? There's nothing scarier than a ghost on Halloween. We made some pretty scary ones and you can too. There are tons of ideas about how to use tin cans. One I found - which the kids loved - is a windsock made from a tomato juice can and a trash bag.
For this project, you will need:
- A small paintbrush
- A wider paintbrush
- White and black paint
- A paper plate
- A can (any size will do but the big cans make scarier ghosts, of course.)
- A trash bag
- Tacky glue
- Items for hanging (We'll get to this part later.)
- When removing the top from your can, make sure to smooth down any rough edges with a rasp or by hammering them down. (If you use a top mounting can opener you won't have rough edges.) Peel off all of the paper and clean your can out thoroughly with soap and water.
- Paint the outside of the can white, including the base of the can. You might want to wear a paint shirt. I found paint on my elbow the next day! Set this aside to dry.
- There are two ways to make the ribbons that will fly in the wind. You can cut off the open edge of your garbage bag to remove ties or you can cut your garbage bag down the sides and across the bottom so that you separate the front from the back and into two pieces. It depends on how full you want your windsock to be. Either way, roll up the bag/piece from bottom almost to the top and use scissors to cut vertically about every 1.5-2 inches from the bottom - up. Be sure to not cut the strips all the way through the top. They have to stay connected.
- Retrieve your white can and paint two eyes and a mouth with the black paint. The scarier you paint it, the better.
- Squirt a line of tacky glue around the inside edge of the can. Then, take one end of your garbage bag and begin pressing it into the line of glue until you have gone all the way around. You may need to cut the end off of your garbage bag if it is too long. We pulled on the strip used for a handle and gathered ours so that it would be fuller.
- Use a nail and a hammer to place a hole in the center of the top of your can and attach a cord for hanging. Now you can hang it in a tree and scare your neighbors.